Exelon Sr Engineers (LRE) in BALTIMORE, Maryland
At Exelon, we've got a place for you!
Join the nation's leading competitive energy provider, with one of the largest electricity generation portfolios and retail customer bases in the country. You will be part of a family of companies that strives for the highest standards of power generation, competitive energy sales, and energy delivery. Our team of outstanding professionals is focused on performance, thought leadership, innovation, and the power of ideas that come from a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Exelon will provide you the tools and resources you need to design, build and enhance a successful career. We are also dedicated to motivating the success of our employees through competitive base salary, incentives, and health and retirement benefits.
Join Exelon and share your passion at a forward-thinking Fortune 100 company. Establish yourself in a place where you can truly shine and create a brighter, more sustainable tomorrow. Energize your career at Exelon!
*SPECIAL POSTING NOTES:
Substation - Lead Responsible Engineer (LRE)
We have an immediate need for two mid-level to senior Substation Lead Responsible Engineers to provide technical oversight of delivery of medium voltage to extra high voltage substation (4kV to 500kV) designs for our Transmission and Substation Engineering group.
General Description of Position:
Substation Lead Responsible Engineer (LRE) is the technical Single Point of Contact for the coordination and execution of all engineering disciplines activities for medium-voltage and high-voltage (4kV to 500kV) Substation Projects or Programs with an emphasis on project safety, cost, schedule, quality, and reliability.
Typical duties/responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
1) Be the BGE Substation Engineering Technical Point of Contact for projects contracted to Engineers of Choice (EOC). Ensure EOC’s adherence to the BGE Substation Engineering & Design Quality Control Process as well as Engineering standards and procedures.
2) The LRE is responsible for providing technical oversight, leading, and output of the Transmission and Substation’s (T&S) engineering and design organizations: High Voltage, Equipment, Civil, and System Protection design & engineering activities during the scoping, detail design & engineering, and construction stages of substation projects.
3) Work with Project Manager in identifying potential or probable project risks and help in determining and elaborating corresponding mitigation plans.
4) Identify challenges that may be encountered in engineering and design that may adversely impact safety, reliability, quality, cost, or schedule and work with Engineering team members to provide recommendations for solutions. This includes but not limited to Engineering and Design Costs Estimates, Engineering Budgets, Engineer Specifications, and Engineering Schedule and final design / engineering plan.
5) Provide substation project management support, including managing engineering scope according to technical requirements, reviewing and approving change orders, answering contractors’ RFI (request for information) and questions, in addition to being the single point of contact for technical inquiries between BGE and the project contractor/EOC’s.
6) In addition, the LRE will also be responsible for design & engineering Request for Proposal (RFP) development efforts and evaluate contractor bids. Negotiate contracts and support Project Management and Supply in the bid award process. This is also applicable to participation in all the high voltage long lead equipment purchased as part of the project of program.
7) Adhere to BGE’s Substations Engineering quality processes and document control procedures to ensure design documents are complete and accurate.
8) Provide construction, installation & commissioning support
9) Prepare projects status reports by collecting, analyzing, summarizing information and recommending actions.
Candidates with the following skills & experience preferred:
1) At least 7-10 years of experience in working substation design and engineering organization as a project lead, engineer, or technical project manager
2) 2-3 years of experience in dealing with high voltage substation electric equipment such as Transformers, Circuit Breakers, Capacitors, Metal Enclosed Capacitors, Switchgears including Circuit Breakers, Current/Potential Transformers, Arrestors, Insulators, Disconnect Switches, Circuit Switches, Battery & charger sizing, Substation GIS equipment, or reactors.
3) Knowledge/basics of substation grounding practice, substation physical layouts, substation bus design, station service, substation battery & charger sizing calculations, or substation direct stroke lightning protection, etc
4) Ability and proven track record of work in a high stress projects with high performing technical team of designers, engineers, Project Managers, engineering consultants, and equipment vendors.
5) Ability and experience in making critical decision on the fly to keep project on track and avoiding scope creep by the representing the leadership in day to day activities from office issues to field issues
6) Ability to handle multiple high priority and high visible projects on a day to day basis and ensuring the technical team is meeting its commitment
7) Ability to work with minimal to no supervision from leadership, and maintain owner of the assigned work
8) Abilityto clearly and effectively communicate with project teams, Engineering Contractors and Equipment Suppliers personnel to successfully collaborate, coordinate, and resolve project related activities and issues.
Master's degree is a plus.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
Develops and/or leads teams in studies, plans, criteria, specifications, calculations, evaluations, design documents, performance assessments, integrated systems analysis, cost estimates, budgets, associated with the planning, design, licensing, construction, operation, and maintenance of Exelons electric generation, transmission, distribution, gas and telecommunication facilities/systems. Provides consultation and recommendations to the Company within and to other business units and/or customers as a result of studying company or customer-owned systems, processes, equipment, vehicles or facilities. Reviews financial data from budget and actual costs of projects.
Position may be required to work extended hours, including 24 x 7 coverage during storms or other energy delivery emergencies.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
Leads and performs assignments in specialized areas requiring extensive engineering expertise.
Leads and performs engineering tasks associated with a critical or analytical engineering project or a small number of complex projects that require specialized knowledge in many areas.
Evaluates, develops, implements and leads projects that have significant financial and operational impact.
Participates in department planning, provide budget recommendations and monitor performance for the accomplishment of committed results.
Performs assignments while acting independently, and may lead multi-discipline teams.
Serves as an expert in specialized area.
Acts as an expert witness or provide expert opinions as required.
Provides recommendations and implements action plans to improve performance and cost effectiveness.
Provides training and/or guidance to others.
Participates in technical and industry societies and committees to enhance knowledge of new technologies or issues in areas of company interest.
Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or Licensed Professional Engineer (2) (3)
Ability to analyze and interpret complex electrical and mechanical systems.
Knowledge and ability to apply problem solving approaches and engineering theory.
Knowledge of engineering designs, principles and practices.
Eight or more years of professional engineering experience (1) (3) (See Note).
Thorough knowledge and experience in unique areas of engineering expertise.
Detailed knowledge of applicable standards, codes methods, and practices unique to areas of expertise.
Ability to apply advanced engineering principles to identify and resolve complex issues.
Minimum of three related career experiences (4)
(i. e. , changes in technical job responsibilities, which may or may not include a change in department) OR
Lead Member of a recognized industry committee OR
Professional Engineers License (2), advanced technical degree, MBA or Project Management Certification
-(1) Masters degree in Engineering reduces the OJT experience requirement by 1 year.
-(2) License must be issued by the state in which you are practicing.
-(3) PE License reduces the OJT experience requirement by 1 year.
-(4) Career related experiences is defined as changes in technical job responsibilities and does not have to include a change in department
- Note: Items (1) and (3) are mutually inclusive, whereby the maximum experience requirement reduction is one(1) year (e. g. , in the case of an employee with both a masters degree in Engineering AND a PE license, the minimum experience requirement would be reduced by one (1) year).
Graduate degree (1) or Graduate level work in Engineering, Business Administration or Project Management Certification
Licensed Professional Engineer (2) (3)
Strong teamwork, interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with all management levels.
Strong written and oral communication skills.
Influences project decisions having a significant impact on the company.
Applies technical knowledge to help promote a safe work environment and to enhance customer satisfaction
Exelon is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and employees or applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
EEO is the Law Poster
Title: Sr Engineers (LRE)
Requisition ID: 215028